"Paint the Portrait" (from a photo and from life)
Saturday & Sunday
October 16th & 17th, 2021
9:00am - 4:00pm
$450 Early bird price before September 27th
8 Includes day 2 model fees
Level: Some painting experience – Advanced. All demonstrations will be done in oil. Acrylic painters welcome. (Bobbi will demonstrate in oil, acrylic painters welcome)
In our "Portrait Oil Painting Workshop", we will paint the first day from photos and the second day from a live model. Bobbi will demonstrate in oil on the first morning of the workshop. (acrylic painters welcome). Students are free to bring their own photo to paint from (must be pre-approved for quality by Bobbi).
Our primary focus will be to pay close attention to such major concepts as light and beautiful paint quality, while exploring the abstract design possibilities (want to loosen up?). All while staying true to the fundamentals in order to portray your subject convincingly: Shape, Value, Edges & Colour.
I like to keep things simple and logical; a process more philosophical than formulaic. As artists we need to have a 'tool-box' filled with knowledge in order to make beautiful brushmarks and …to be able to tackle whatever comes at us.
Here are just some of the “ideas” we'll explore in our class/workshop:
1) Mass Design: "Massing In" puts your idea into your space.
2) Brushstrokes: the language of painting.
3) The Fundamentals: Shapes | Values | Edges | Colour: The simpler, the better.
4) Simple! See the beauty and you'll paint it, rather than merely copying reality. The simpler the idea, the more powerful the painting.
5) Visual Concepts | Abstract Visual Idea: Have a statement in mind. Open yourself to possibilities.
6) Flat Shapes: very simple; clear from a distance; looks lit
7) Paint from a photo “as if you’re painting from life”.
Course materials list are available here: