“Paint the Costumed Figure from Life”
6 sessions: Thursday's 1:00-3:30
JAN. 14 - FEB. 18 2021
On sale Now $300
(*includes model fee)
These classes can kept being taken continuiously back to back.
As artists we need to have a 'tool-box' filled with knowledge in order to make beautiful brushmarks and …
to be able to tackle whatever comes at us. I like to keep things simple and logical; a process more philosophical than formulaic.
Here are just some of the “ideas” we'll explore in class:
1) Mass Design: "Massing In" puts your idea into your space.
2) Brushstrokes: the language of painting.
3) Shapes | Values | Edges | Colour: The simpler, the better.
4) Simple! See the beauty and you'll paint it, rather than merely copying reality. The simpler the idea, the more powerful the painting.
5) Visual Concepts | Abstract Visual Idea: Have a statement in mind.
Open yourself to possibilities
6) Flat Shapes: very simple; clear from a distance; looks lit
7) Paint from a photo “as if you’re painting from life”.
In this session, we will explore the clothed/draped figure, from life. Our lovely model will be in costume!
Our primary focus, through direct observation, will be how clothing affects the shape of the body, paying close attention to such major concepts as light and beautiful paint quality, while exploring the design possibilities of fabric. All while staying true to the fundamentals in order to portray fabric, convincingly: Shape, Value, Edges & Colour.
The first class Bobbi will demonstrate an oil painting of our model, from life. In this class, students will become familiar with the process and will be free to ask questions.
In the following 3 weeks (Weeks 2-4) the class will paint the same model pose from life.
In the final 2 weeks the class will paint from the photo of our model. The idea will be to “paint from a photo as if you are painting from life”.
Note: Bobbi will paint along with the class in each session. In this way, you will be able to observe a painting progress from the ‘start’ to a somewhat finished painting. You will receive one-on-one guidance throughout the class.
Level: Some painting experience – Advanced. All demonstrations will be done in oil. Acrylic painters welcome.
Scroll down to the bottom of our course materials page for Bobbi's course supply list:
C$350.00 Regular Price